Friday, August 10, 2007

Old friends found 46 years later






The first picture shows the lake looking down one of the Lagoon Manor roads past some of the homes Glenn and Susan have built and sold on the property. The next picture is a home that was built in the classic style of the Adirondack Mountains along the lake. The third is the Sagamore Hotel. Likely the rooms here are averaging $800 a night this weekend if there is a view of the water. The hotel is equally beautiful on the landside of the building. The next picture is another view of the lake from one of the few openings on Route 9N that really shows the splendor of the lake and its scenery. Finally is a picture of Glenn and Susan found after 46 years.

8/9 Thursday We were out rather early to do some serious touring around to see how the Bolton Landing area and the area to the north where Lagoon Manor is located. This is where I worked in 1960. Glenn Waehner was high school friend and I had come with his family almost every weekend in the spring to help get their summer resort ready to open. They had a grand manor house set high on a hill overlooking Lake George and about 16 cottage units scattered around the property.

Arriving at the property we found a friendly couple we struck up a conversation with. Telling them I had worked here in 1960 and mentioning Glenn’s name, they said he was due to be in the area on the 10th. I immediately began to try to figure how to stay in the area an extra night as I have been trying to find him on and off for about the last five years. The couple gave me Glenn’s cell number that I immediately called. After his shock of talking to me after 46 years, he asked where I was and I told him by the boathouse. He asked what boathouse and I responded Lagoon Manor boathouse. To my surprise he said he was just getting into his golf cart to come down to the boathouse! In a few moments, he and his wife Susan who is also my classmate were at the lake.

Over the next 3 hours Leigh and I had a wonderful time cruising some of the areas of Lake George in their boat he had pulled from storage after 12 years and made ready to use this weekend. The lake was much as I remembered it. They have restrictions on the number of trees that can be cleared on property, so Leigh was having difficulty seeing the lake at all. She had said she wanted to go on a boat tour, but not in our wildest imagination did we think we would have a ride like this on such a beautiful day on a pristine lake like we did. Finally Glenn and Susan had to get to the things they had come to town to handle, so we parted company, but at least we now know how to find them! This day had to be a God thing as we all had come to town the evening before and due to races this weekend we were only able to get a campsite in the area through Friday morning.